Saturday 3 October 2015

Map of the USA



I have selected this map due to it's fairly weighty message it's sending to me, I believe that this shows the USA as not being the diverse and multicultural hotbed it claims to be and has claimed to be for decades. From looking at this map, it shows that there are still a large amount of white Americans who are living in white dominant communities. New England and the Midwest are evidently not as diverse as Texas or California for that matter, To me, I think that the large amounts of non white Americans in the south show that they are sticking together, closer to the borders. I can deduce from the graph that the south of the US is more diverse and possibly more 'welcoming' to non white Americans. I also believe that the great migration of blacks to the northern States wasn't overly sustained over a long period of time, I can see that large portions of the southern states, particularly South Carolina and Georgia (two states that were slavery hotbeds) still have a larger portion of black Americans still living in them, which shows that over the past 150 years since the signing of the Emancipation Proclamation, African Americans are still living in the same places as their ancestors. I believe this is mainly due to the white dominance in the north, particularly New England, where the communities are more than 60% white.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.